It might sound a bit ridiculous. No. Scratch that. It does.
The truth of the matter is that some things are better left unsaid, I suppose. Still, the idea of a truth serum is incredibly appealing. If I could ask anyone any question and receive a complete and honest answer, it would be a miracle. I'm really not sure what I'd spend my time doing. My brain would probably collapse in on itself from boredom, no longer toiling away at uncovering the hidden messages in the actions, words and tones of others.
There is something that I find even more frustrating than having to piece together random flashes of time and form some idea of what another person is thinking or feeling -- it is when someone is so obviously thinking or feeling something, but they simply refuse to admit it, to say anything. People are so intent upon keeping up some facade that everyone can see past. It drives me nuts. Pretending. Why? Because they think it will keep things from getting messy. Because it's easier to just imply things than be blunt or bold. Because we are so intent upon giving people what we think they want to hear.
And the best part -- I do this all the time. So....good. I'm a hypocrite.
I'd better rest my eyes
'Cause I'm growing weary of
This point you've been trying to make
So rather than imply
Why don't you just verbalize
All the things that you're trying to say
Why don't you
Come right out and say it?
Even if the words are probably gonna hurt
I'd rather have the truth
Than something insincere
Why don't you
Come right out and say
What it is you're thinking
Though I'm thinking it's not what I wanna hear
I may go into this topic more later, but my thoughts are incredibly jumbled -- much like this entry.
4 comments:
Marjorie, I sure hope you are writing your post RIGHT.. NOW.
Too late, Marjorie. You already witnessed my wrath in Ket Rec, so I will restrain myself here.
I had better see a blog before I go to sleep tonight...! That's all I'll say.
Okay, Marjorie. Thank you for fulfilling your promise and writing this blog in time (kind of)! Anyway, I feel like this is an elaboration on some of the things we've discussed before, but it's still interesting to see it in writing.
Hypocrisy is one of the things that I hate the most, but it's something of which I'm sure I'm guilty quite frequently, as well.
I, too, have often wondered what it would be like to receive honesty in answer to all of my questions (although we've talked about this before, as well, I think). The thought both intrigues and frightens me.
Anyway, good post. :)
The implications of this are quite intriguing. This kind of thing happens all the time. Theres like a line of what people say and don't say that people seem to know and not cross. Sometimes I feel like saying something honest or blunt, but I usually don't because I don't think other people would be receptive to it. I don't know. It's interesting.
Post a Comment