Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Friendship

I have to admit that trying to define "friendship" is not something that plagues my thoughts. I don't usually think about it. In fact, any dictionary definition of the word would probably seem too cold for me to use. Something I have thought about, though, is why I'm friends with the people I'm friends with.

What drew us together? Why do we remain friends? Why do friendships change? Where is the line between friends and acquaintances?

The constant switching of environments and groups of people that has happened in my life over the past six months has caused me to ponder these things. Now, if I wanted to simply answer my own question and get over it, I would just say "God has placed these people in my life..." and so on and so forth. That's a perfectly fine answer, but it neither satisfies my curiosity nor makes a good blog.

The other day I was looking up C. S. Lewis quotes, because he is the man. As I glanced down the page I came across this one...and it spoke to me.


Friendship arises out of mere companionship when two or more of the companions discover that they have in common some insight or interest or even taste which the others do not share and which, till that moment, each believed to be his own unique treasure (or burden). The typical expression of opening Friendship would be something like, "What? You too? I thought I was the only one."

Friends are the ones who make us realize we're not alone in the world. Levels of friendship increase the more common bonds, experiences, thoughts, feelings you share...as soon as someone understands you in a way that you thought noone could it either creates a friendship or reaffirms one you have. Now, whether that never goes beyond a polite friendship, or you become best friends forever, or are close for only a short period of time...it has significance.

Ever since I first watched Anne of Green Gables I've been on a neverending search to seek out "kindred spirits" in the world. And as I sit here typing this, I realize that I've been blessed to find so many...some in the unlikliest of places.

To be understood is a wonderful thing.

I really don't think I've answered even half of the questions I posed in this blog. That's fairly common, though. I usually have more questions than answers...and that's okay. It's how the world is supposed to be, I think.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Marjorie. I really like the C.S. Lewis quote! I think I may have seen it before, but it's definitely a good one. Anyway, the whole thought of defining "friendship" kind of makes me think of the "Can you just give me a checklist and tell me what you want?" thing. Things would be so much easier that way!

"To be understood is a wonderful thing." And that is why we have Myers-Briggs. :)

justin said...

I loved the line "I was looking up C.S. Lewis quotes, because he is the man." Haha.
I too sometimes ponder the state of my current and past friendships. How did I drift away from my best friends? Moving, for some of them. But there are other factors... do we just grow out of certain friends?
To be understood is, yes, quite a wonderful thing.
And I, too, am always looking for new friendships.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I love that quote!! It's from The Four Loves, which is a good book by the way. And so true.